Steve Coyne has over 20 years experience as a physicist, specialising in photometry, lighting and daylighting.
Establishing Light Naturally in 2006, Steve is a highly recognised academic within the industry and is noted for his advanced knowledge of lighting designs and solutions, as shown in his ability to conduct lighting assessments and analysis based on visual performance, visual comfort and develop scientifically based solutions for energy efficient building design.
Before establishing Light Naturally in 2007, Steve spent 18 years as a lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. Here, Steve conducted teaching, research and consultancy in building physics, energy efficiency, photometry, optics and daylighting. During his time at QUT, Steve also helped establish the Masters in Lighting course for post-graduate students.
Today, Steve still lectures casually in post graduate lighting courses he helped to establish in Australia and Hong Kong, as well as providing mentoring to PhD students.
Steve has had more than eighty papers published (including international conferences and refereed journals) and provides a number of technical presentations to professional, industry and government organisations including RAIA, FMA, HIA, SIA and the SEQ local Government.
Steve has also held a number of leadership positions within the lighting industry, including Acting Chairman of the Australian Council of Built Environment Design Professions and the Vice President of the Illuminating Engineering Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Other positions have included:
· Steering Committee, Smart & Sustainable Homes Program, Queensland Government (3 years) - weblink
· Management Committee (15 years), Qld Chapter, Illuminating Engineering Society of Aust & NZ weblink
· Deputy Chair, international research consortium, Daylighting Buildings for the 21st Century, International Energy Agency (4 years) weblink
· President (3 years), Qld Chapter, Illuminating Engineering Society of Aust & NZ weblink
Steve also holds a number of professional memberships including:
· Illuminating Engineering Society Aust & NZ
· Illuminating Engineering Society of North America
· CIE Australia (International Commission on Illumination)
· Australian Optical Society
· Alternative Technology Association
· Honk Kong Lighting Practitioners Associations
· Australian Institute of Company Directors
P: 07 3844 0602
M: 0413 314 346